For Immediate Release
July 3, 2018
Tropical Storm Warning in Effect for Guam
Guam remains in COR 4 but Precautionary Measures Should be Taken
At 2 p.m., the National Weather Service (NWS), Weather Forecast Office Guam, issued an updated advisory for Tropical Depression 10W, which is intensifying slowly. A tropical storm warning means tropical storm conditions, including damaging winds of 39 mph or more, are expected within 24 hours.
A tropical storm watch remains in effect for Rota, and is now in effect for Tinian and Saipan. A tropical storm watch means tropical storm conditions, including damaging winds of 39 mph or more, are possible within 24 hours.
At 1 p.m., the tropical depression was located 10.6 degrees north latitude and 145.7 east longitude, about 205 miles south-southeast of Guam and 310 miles south of Saipan, with maximum sustained winds of 30 mph. The tropical depression is forecast to gradually intensify today and tonight, becoming a tropical storm on Wednesday.
It is expected to pass about 70 miles southwest of Guam late Wednesday afternoon or evening. The closest point of approach is expected around 8 p.m. Wednesday evening. Winds may increase to between 40 to 45 mph with gusts up to 50 mph in heavier showers. Rainfall amounts between 3 and 5 inches are possible, with a potential for flash flooding.
Guam remains in Condition of Readiness 4 at this time.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) advise the community to take basic precautionary actions now. Residents and visitors are advised to:
· Stay up to date with the latest information. The storm track or intensity may change and advisories regarding flash flooding or high surf may be issued.
· Stay out of the waterfalls and rivers and avoid hiking on Wednesday, due to the potential for flash floods.
· Locate or prepare your emergency preparedness kits for your household.
· Clear loose debris around your yard and store any items that may become airborne with heavy wind.
· Gas your vehicles and get fuel for your generators.
· Stay up to date in the event there are changes with or updates to changes in Conditions of Readiness.
· Secure outdoor pets in a safe location either indoors or inside the garage.
GHS/OCD, working with the NWS, will continue to monitor the system and provide updates. Monitor the latest advisory information through the following sites:
· NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For Immediate Release