For Immediate Release
August 19, 2018
Flash Flood Advisory issued for Guam
With the National Weather Service Guam (NWS) has issued a flash flood advisory for Guam due to heavy rainfall. The advisory is in effect until 6:00pm (ChST)Monday, August 20, 2018.
Floods – those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action.
- Clear drainage areas and un-block clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the change of flooding.
- Avoid walking or driving through flood water.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground. Do not wait for alerts or warnings.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water as the current may be carrying debris from your surroundings.
- Avoid hiking, camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas could flood quickly and with little or no warning.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to practice caution if traveling in the rainy conditions.
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Acting Public Information Officer, Dee Cruz at (671) 478-0291 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OFFICES OF HOMELAND SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENSE
I Tano’ Guahan/Ufisinan Difensia Sibet
221-B Chalan Palasyo, Agana Heights, Guam 96910 Tel: (671) 475-9600 / Fax: (671) 477-3727