July 2, 2018
Hagåtña – The Department of Integrated Services for Individuals with Disabilities (DISID) is proud to announce that Guam will be celebrating the 28th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA law was enacted on July 26, 1990 and prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in the areas of Employment, Transportation, Telecommunications, Access to Local/State Programs, and Places of Public Accommodation that are provided in the Private Sector.
In observance of the ADA Anniversary, DISID has coordinated a number of Awareness Activities and FREE Workshops for the public during the month of July to help in the education and compliance of this landmark federal civil rights law.
A Proclamation Signing was held on Friday, June 29th at 3:30pm at the Adelup Cabinet Conference Room.
Other activities and FREE training workshops that will be held throughout the month of July include:
● Employer Responsibilities
● Accessible Parking Requirements
● Reasonable Accommodations
● Accessible Route of Travel
● Accessible Website Requirements
● Rules related to Service Animals
● Rights of Individuals with Disabilities
● Accessible Transportation Services on Guam
● Disability Awareness
● A Day In A Life Simulation Activity
● Creating Accessible Office Documents Workshop
● Integrated Bowling Tournament
● Accessible Toilet Requirements
● ADA Recognition & Awards Presentation
Details on the dates and times of the ADA activities and workshops are posted on the DISID website at www.disid.guam.gov. Individuals interested in registering and/or needing special accommodations to attend the event activities can contact: 475-4624/475-4646 or email Ben Servino at: email@example.com.
July 2, 2018