JANUARY 19, 2023
MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2023 IS BEGINNING OF
GUAM’S 2023 TAX FILING SEASON
Barrigada, GU – The Guam Department of Revenue & Taxation (DRT) announced today that the 2023 income tax filing season will begin on Monday, January 23, 2023. This is the date that DRT will begin accepting 2022 tax year returns and is in line with the date that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will also begin the nation’s tax season. The due date for filing of returns is Tuesday, April 18, 2023.
Payments by Direct Deposit
Certain taxpayers will have the option to receive their refunds by direct deposit. DRT reminds taxpayers to ensure that their bank account information is accurate. Any errors will result in delays in refund processing.
Hard copies of forms will be available at DRT’s Income Tax Branch beginning Monday, January 23, 2023. However, Guam Forms 1040 and 1040SR can be accessed at www.myguamtaxcom and www.guamtax.com. For more forms and instructions, please visit www.irs.gov or consult with a tax professional.
E-Filing of Certain 2022 Forms 1040 to be Available at www.myguamtax.com
E-Filing of certain Forms 1040 will be able to be done at www.myguamtax.com beginning Monday, January 23, 2023. DRT encourages taxpayers to file their Forms 1040 online.
The online Form 1040 has been expanded to allow for more taxpayers to be able to file online. You will only be able to e-file your Guam Form 1040 for 2022 tax year at www.myguamtax.com.
Form 1040 E-Filing Program enhanced features include:
- Option for Direct Deposit of refunds;
- No maximum taxable income threshold;
- Filing status accepted for: Single, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), and Head of Household (HoH);
- Now able to claim dependents;
- Ability to claim Earned Income Credit (EIC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), and the Child and Dependent Care Credit (CDCC);
- Also available for first-time filers,
If any of the following applies, you may e-file your return:
- You are reporting wages from Form W-2 (or W-2GU) Wage and Tax Statement;
- You are reporting Social Security Income from Form SSA-1099;
- You had only wages, salaries, tips, and your interest income was not greater than $1,500;
- You have no adjustments to income;
- You are only claiming EIC, CTC, ACTC and/or CDCC
- You received a Form 1099-G (Government) for Unemployment Income received
If any of the following apply, you must manually file your Form 1040 (original) with DRT.
- Your filing status is Married Filing Separately (MFS) or Qualifying Surviving Spouse (QSS);
- You are required to file and report income or deductions other than Wages, Interest Income, and Tax Credits listed above.
- You are required to file Form 1040 Schedule A, B, C, D, E, F or other related schedules, forms, statements, and/or required attachments with your return.
- You have adjustments to income;
- You filed Form 8915-E: Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distribution and Repayments with your 2020 Income Tax Return
- You are claiming other tax credits/deductions such as the American Opportunity Tax Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, Student Loan Interest Deduction, IRA Contributions Deduction, 401(k) Contributions Deduction, etc.;
- If you are subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), you must attach Form 6251 to your return. Also, if you decide to continue to e-file your return, and if we later determine that AMT is applicable to you, your tax may be adjusted accordingly to reflect the correct tax.
Note that taxpayers must answer the question regarding digital assets. Failure to do so will result in a delay in processing.
Additional Filing Options – Mail or Drop Box
Tax filings may also be mailed to the DRT Office at P.O. Box 23607, GMF, Barrigada, GU 96921 or be placed in DRT’s drop box in a sealed envelope. If you would like a stamped copy of your return to be mailed to you, you must include an additional copy of the return and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Limited Tax Preparation for Senior Citizens, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans will be available 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Friday
As a courtesy to the public, DRT will have limited tax preparation services for senior citizens, individuals with disabilities and veterans from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Friday beginning Monday, January 23, 2023. This service will be available for simple tax returns only.
For questions regarding income tax filing, please contact DRT’s Call Center at (671) 635-1840/1841/7651/1813 or by e-mail at email@example.com.