Hagåtña, Guam – At the request of Governor Lou Guerrero, President Biden has approved a federal cost-share increase for Typhoon Mawar recovery projects. Under the President’s order, the Federal share for Public Assistance, Hazard Mitigation, and Other Needs Assistance has been increased to 90 percent of the total eligible costs from 75 percent to 90 percent. 

“This cost-share increase allows the federal government to cover 90 percent of eligible costs of Public Assistance, Hazard Mitigation and Other Needs Assistance programs. The remaining 10 percent is to be provided by non-federal funds,” said Governor Lou Leon Guerrero. “We thank President Biden for his latest action, which not only reduces the financial burden for the people of Guam but also secures a faster recovery.”

“The increase in cost-share to 90 percent provides for millions of dollars more in federal funding to flow into Guam and only strengthens our resiliency moving forward,” said Lt. Governor Joshua Tenorio. “We also want to thank our federal partners who have played an incredible role in supporting multiple missions that helped repair roofs, clear debris, and restore normalcy for our people after the first major typhoon our island has experienced in over two decades.” 

Programs Affected by this Increase

Public Assistance funds allow FEMA to reimburse local, state and tribal governments and

certain private nonprofit organizations (including eligible churches) for emergency expenses,

debris removal and infrastructure repair due to damage that resulted from the Typhoon.

FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides funding to state, local, tribal and territorial governments so they can develop hazard mitigation plans and rebuild in a way that reduces, or mitigates, future disaster losses in their communities. This grant funding is available after a presidentially declared disaster.

Other Needs Assistance falls under FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program and provides

financial help after a disaster to cover necessary expenses and serious needs not paid by insurance or other sources. These needs may include transportation, childcare and medical and

dental expenses.


Skip to content